03 January 2010

Reader's Questions

NKB makes an excellent suggestion. Readers, ask frau-y questions. Once a month, I'll do a massive answerfest.

As a tease, I will say, cleaning cast iron isn't all that difficult. And, I'm with you about soap & water. In my book, something isn't clean unless soap has touched it. So, here's what I do. I scrape off food detritus/fat. Then, I use a gentle dish soap (I like the 7th Generation stuff) and sometimes a little squeeze of lemon juice to wash it out. I use a brush (no steel wool!!!) and some warm water. Then, I rinse it out immediately. Put it on the stove and turn heat to med. Let the water remaining on the skillet evaporate. Finally, give it a little brush of neutral oil with a paper towel.

The only real no-no with cast iron is letting it soak for long periods of time and putting it away wet.

See an early frau post, "she's so heavy" for more cast iron trivia.

2 comments:

vp said...

frau, what is considered a 'neutral oil' - vegetable?

cell member said...

yes, something without flavor. so soybean, vegetable (which is mostly soybean), canola, etc.