25 July 2010

super duper summer salad


my husband can cook. not me. today he asked me what I wanted and I told him something with french lentils. here is the recipe he made...it is fantastic. it combines some really interesting flavors I normally wouldn't put together.
the original recipe was from cooks illustrated but john made enough alterations (because I forgot stuff at the store) that I don't feel uncomfortable reproducing the recipe as he made it.

1 c. french lentils - picked over and cleaned
1/2 small onion
1 small carrot - peeled and cut in half
1 med. rib of celery - cut into thirds
1/2 tsp. table salt
1 and a 1/2 tbsp. of dry sherry
1/2 tbsp. vinegar
3 tbsp. of a spicy brown or whole grain mustard
1 tbsp. caraway seeds, lightly crushed (this is the amazing secret ingredient)
2 med. cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
4 radishes, diced (this is the second key ingredient)
1/4 c. minced fresh parsley leaves

Directions:

1. bring first 4 ingredients plus 4 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. boil for 5 min. reduce heat; simmer until lentils are tender but still hold their shape (approx. 30 min).

2. meanwhile, mix vinegar, sherry, mustard, caraway seeds, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste in small bowl. slowly whisk in the oil to make a vinaigrette; set aside.

3. drain lentils and discard the vegetables. add warm lentils to vinaigrette; toss to coat. cool to room temperature. stir in radish and parsley. serve.

No comments: